Monday, June 22, 2026

Theme of the Week: Painting Subjects



Welcome to Summer! 🌞

Changing your mind about a theme for the week is a good part of the idea as flexibility and creativity are cousins. Music was the planned theme first this week. Why change?

A documentary on YouTube, “Wyeth,” 2018 inspires me to select this week’s theme:  Painting Subjects. 

In art and writing, the high priority is to create what you know. The film set me to exploring how I chose subjects to paint. What do I know?

Flowing with the moment. Clutter comfort turns into a shop of painting subjects, so much to choose from. I would define myself as mainly landscape and abstract artist. Attention to still life will be an interesting path to follow this summer. 

First Subject: A banana peel

A Banana Peel
Digital photo 2026

8 comments:

  1. Very nice post. I am interested in seeing how your banana peel art turns out. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole,
      A quick acrylic sketch is the plan. Tomorrow’s subject will be something that
      doesn’t have a shelf life. 🤣
      May

      Delete
  2. You're right about that. How can we say "I don't have anything to draw" when we are surrounded by subjects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie,
      Drawing daily depends on having a sketchbook handy just like a cell phone is handy. Skill improves with practice.
      😎May

      Delete
  3. That's such a great photo to use as inspiration. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maryanne,
      Feeling better, I expect today there will be painting going on.
      May

      Delete
  4. Daily practice makes for visible improvement. However, I usually quit after a few days, which accomplishes little. Yay for looking at the daily pieces of life like a banana skin to find beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quick sketch of the bananas I read in the above comment. How did it turn out? Did you have fun?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting