September 16, 2026

The little amazing hold ons



The Last Lego 1981

Early in my days of being online, circa 2001, I posted about the last Lego I would ever step on. 

In 1981, our living room carpet was a silver blue low pile. The little pieces were easy to miss. I was standing near the kitchen door when I stepped on that very Lego in the photo above.  It hurt, really hurt. I don’t remember bleeding though.

I picked it up and put it away. For 45 years, that Lego piece has managed through several moves, to stay with me. 

Another amazing hold on is my kazoo from 1964, my corduroy jacket from high school, 1978 wooden clogs, and the oldest, a 1961 bracelet from my grandmother.

It is a mystery that for all the things that could have, only certain things are carried with us through life. 

I think one of these days I will enclose my lego in clear epoxy resin and place it next to family photos. 

2 comments:

  1. Ah,. the Lego pain, I remember it well! However, having said that, I love Lego and really wish I could convince myself that it's okay to buy it for just me. The RC says we should each get a kit so perhaps we will - to work on over the winter.
    I had forgotten all about kazoo's - fun memory! I also remember using a blade of grass between my thumbs to blow pretty piercing sounds. Our boys were always astounded that I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryanne,
    Congrats on the blade of grass!
    I was never good at that. It was fun trying. 😂
    May

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting