September 05, 2026

Well, let me tell you

What’s going lately…


September is turning out to be an entertaining month. This and that are giving whatever a run for his money. 

I’ve seen too many trees turning color too soon. I’ve seen folks sliding through red lights as if the word is out to scare folks into an early Halloween. I made it to the thrift store Saturday drop off with a big bag of clothes, and a full grocery bag of stuff. It was so much fun,  the next time I will have even more.

A word about thrift store prices: Ouch!
That word describes how I feel when I look at price tags at a local thrift store. 
For years I have wanted a vintage dinning room sideboard/buffet. Today, a Federalist style buffet is at the thrift store marked $300.00 US dollars.  Less the 35% off sale going on today, the cost is still out of my budget. With a good polish, it is, I believe, a reseller’s dream. A quick Internet search today shows me there are folks that want thousands for them.
 It is unlikely I will buy one because I can repurpose a bureau to make my own for less. 

Repurpose? I estimate, using a weekend overnight bag, that I can fill it with old costume jewelry bits and pieces. Folks laugh about fabric stashes. Think bead stashes. I have broken necklace beads from 1975. None of it has value, no gold, no gemstones. 
The old cheap earrings though, have dangles that can be reused on non-allergenic ear wires. 

Sterling silver ear wires


10 comments:

  1. I hear you on saving old jewelry and beads. I'm thinking $300 isn't a bad price if the buffet is in good shape and doesn't require work, especially with the discount. At least not for thrifting in Michigan. And we are seeing those leaf changes early too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salty Pumpkin06 September, 2026

      Jeanie,
      You are right, that price isn’t bad. Why they have increased so much in value
      is a mystery to me.
      May

      Delete
  2. Yes - stop signs seem to only be a suggestion anymore...and yellow lights simply mean speed up. You definitely can't trust other drivers to obey the law.
    I agree that thrift store prices are getting ridiculous. The RC was looking at a pie plate recently and decided it was too costly. We went from there to the local Canadian Tire and they had the same pie plate for $2 less...brand new. Pretty much the only thing we buy at the thriftie is a few pieces of clothing even though we know we can buy new for pretty much the same price. We look at it that we're keeping other people's throwaways out of the landfill and thus helping the environment somewhat. We hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maryanne,
      Thrift stores are good for the environment.
      I laughed when I saw a common covered relish dish that I donated to the thrift store marked $5.00. It should have been $1.00. It seems the new dollar is now five.
      May

      Delete
  3. That sounds like no thrift to me. Beautiful photo of the Autumn 🍂 ❤️ leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salty Pumpkin06 September, 2026

      Linda,
      It is the most popular thrift. I see more snd more things not selling as fast as they use to. Clothes , though, have good prices.
      May

      Delete
  4. I am often surprised at the high prices in thrift stores, too. But buying items there does keep them out of the landfill.
    With the strange summer weather in many parts of the world, I do wonder what winter holds. Here it feels like summer ended very quickly and autumn is well entrenched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salty Pumpkin07 September, 2026

      Lorrie,
      It feels like summer left town way too early.
      May

      Delete
  5. Ohhh I'm with you on the thrift stores. The prices here are as high as going to the mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salty Pumpkin07 September, 2026

      Nicole,
      Passing on buying at the thrift store is also high. Each visit, there are 2 or 3 things I refused to buy because the prices were too high. And it us not easy for me to nit buy a mug.
      May

      Delete

Thank you for visiting