Yesterday, a thing happens out of nowhere. I tripped on the new door mat. Seconds later, I’m assessing the situation and going for my phone, just in case.
Unreal, just like the TV ad, I couldn’t get up. My neighbor helped me. Another neighbor drove me to the ER and picked me up almost 6 hours later.
Staff at Porter Hospital, Middlebury Vermont are impressive, very caring and tuned into the discomfort. The folks in the nearly full waiting room were so nice, I believe the atmosphere helped calm me. I wanted to cry really bad. Instead, I was talking and even laughing sometimes.
Lucky I am that no surgery needed. My wrist has two small breaks. I saw them on the x-rays. I didn’t want to think about the damage because that can increase stress. At a time of injury, calm is the focus. The body is upset enough. Shifting attention from hurt person to caring for that delicate self is calming. I learned that from reading about the physiology of child birth.
In a cast for a week and then to ortho doctor for a splint. A surprise to me is the decrease of soreness. My fingers can wiggle without pain. I can peel a banana with one hand. 😁 A good part about is I don’t need pain meds. Ibuprofen is sufficient if needed. Alas, the cast adds weight on my scale. So, no weigh ins for a week. 😂🥳
Oh, I discovered that twirling around to help pull up your pants with one hand doesn’t make them rise faster. 😂 A quick jump up does though.
![]() |
| The Green Mountains View from Porter Hospital ER parking lot, Middlebury, Vermont |

Oh Maywyn, I'm so sorry you've had a fall. And so glad that you were treated well at the hospital and are mending at home.
ReplyDeleteLorrie,
DeletePositive experiences go a long way towards healing. In an environment with so many people, not one sour person is surreal and a blessing to see.
May
Oh May, no! Any fall is no fun. One with a break is awful. But it sounds like you had good care and were able to adjust the internal noise into a way that was calming and less stressful. Very smart but not always easy to do. I send wishes for fast, thorough healing. (And I hope it's not your dominant writing/painting arm.) Looks like you can type though. That's a plus!
ReplyDeleteJeanie,
DeleteLeft wrist, same spot broken in 1960 playing softball. I’m right handed.
Thank you. My finger wiggling makes me laugh as if I expect healing to be done .
May
Oh no!! I'm SO sorry this happened to you. Get rid of that mat because obviously it's a menace. I hope it wasn't your dominant hand because that will just multiply the difficulties even more. Though I must admit I now have a mental picture of you twirling around trying to pull up your pants. Hopefully you have some dresses you can just pull on so you can avoid the angst of pants.
ReplyDeleteMaryanne,
DeleteThank you.
The twirling made me laugh. The mat is the safer replacement from one that curled at the corner. I don’t know how it happened exactly. It was fast and a big surprise.
May
Ohhh nooo that is not good. I'm glad you had some help and that the care at the hospital was good. Yeah, I don't think I will be twirling any time soon to get my pants on.
ReplyDeleteNicole,
DeleteThe ordeal has been a comedy of errors. 😂
May
Oh my! So sorry to read about your fall ... but the care you received does sound very good.
ReplyDeleteSending good wishes and may you recover and heal well.
All the best Jan
Thank you, Jan
DeleteFunny thing, most of the food I want are fresh fruit and veggies.
May
Oh no, I am so sorry you are going through this but you have a good attitude and that will go a long way in healing and coping with it. Sweet gentle hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteHugs for you, Diane
DeleteThe waiting room reminds me how nice it is to hang out with folks in person.
May
Oh my goodness. So sorry but also so glad that you don't need surgery.
ReplyDeleteIvy,
DeleteI feel very fortunate about that.
May
I'm so sorry you tripped and took a fall. I hope you heal nicely and quickly in the days ahead.
ReplyDeleteI wish you wonderful days in July!
Sheri, Thank you. I am feeling better every day.
DeleteMay
Maywyn, I am a bit late in blog reading and commenting and sorry to learn of your wall and injury. Those floor mats can be injurious and I removed one from the kitchen as. I have a tendency to be a bit clumsy at times and didn't want to risk a fall. Curiously, I just did a post about how the Apple watch detects falls and can call emergency services. Glad you were able to phone your neighbor and receive such god care at the hospital as well. Hope the healing goes well.
ReplyDeleteBeatrice,
DeleteIn review, I don’t think it was the welcome mat. I now suspect my sandal caught on something.
Healing well as long as I don’t bang it.
May
I am so sorry 😞 that you are going through this. I wish you a speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Linda
DeleteThings are going more smoothly than I hoped for.
May
So very sorry to read this ... sending good wishes for a speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thank you, Jan
DeleteWell wishes are very welcomed.
May
PS Lovely view of the green mountains.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Jan,
DeleteThe Green Mountains I imagine have some cool shady spots. This week, they are hazy blue from the heat wave here.
Stay Cool!
May